IIBEC Senior Director of Technical Services Emily Lorenz, PE, attended the ASTM committee week in Denver, Colorado, the week of April 17, 2023, and participated in meetings for ASTM Committees E06, Performance of Buildings, and E60, Sustainability. The following activities of those committees may be of interest to IIBEC members.
ASTM is developing education modules related to Committee E06’s standards. Draft modules for the following standards were recorded in Feb/March 2023 and are now in ASTM’s post-processing stage:
- ASTM E283/E283M-19, Standard Test Method for Determining Rate of Air Leakage Through Exterior Windows, Skylights, Curtain Walls, and Doors Under Specified Pressure Differences Across the Specimen;
- ASTM E783-02(2018), Standard Test Method for Field Measurement of Air Leakage Through Installed Exterior Windows and Doors;
- ASTM E331-00(2023), Standard Test Method for Determining Rate of Air Leakage Through Exterior Windows;
- ASTM E1105-15(2023), Standard Test Method for Field Determination of Water Penetration of Installed Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls, by Uniform or Cyclic Static Air Pressure Difference;
- ASTM E3158-18, Standard Test Method for Measuring the Air Leakage Rate of a Large or Multizone Building; and
- ASTM E1186-22, Standard Practices for Air Leakage Site Detection in Building Envelopes and Air Barrier Systems.
To support this effort, task group E06.55.11, Building Enclosure Standards Online Training Modules, which is chaired by IIBEC member Daniel Lemieux, AIA, has been reactivated to review and offer technical input on training modules that are currently under development.
Work continues on revisions to the two commissioning standards under the purview of ASTM E06.55 subcommittee on Performance of Building Enclosures: ASTM E2813-18, Standard Practice for Building Enclosure Commissioning, and ASTM E2947-21a, Standard Guide for Building Enclosure Commissioning.
Two standards related to drones are being revised. E2270-2014(2019), Practice for Periodic Inspection of Building Facades for Unsafe Conditions, and E2841-2019, Guide for Conducting Inspections of Building Facades for Unsafe Conditions. The challenge in revising these standards is how to update them when the technology is changing so quickly.
ASTM E60 has published a standard on general principles of resilience (ASTM E3341, Standard Guide for General Principles of Resilience).