A coalition of 109 companies and organizations, representing a broad span of the construction industry, delivered a letter to the governors of Northeastern states underscoring the ability of the industry to operate safely in the face of the pandemic and the significant role the construction industry will play in leading the region’s economic recovery. IIBEC was one of the signatories.
The coalition letter comes as the governors of Connecticut, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island are working together to deliver a plan for reopening businesses in the region following state shutdowns related to COVID-19.
The industry letter outlines five specific reasons why the construction industry plays a key role in the regional reopening plan and includes:
- The construction industry has well-established safety protocols that will keep workers safe.
- Construction activities can be conducted while maintaining social distancing.
- The construction industry is committed to additional worker training.
- Construction and construction-related manufacturing are recognized as essential in guidance issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Construction and manufacturing will propel the economic recovery.
The letter can be found here. Construction Industry Letter To Northeast Governors 4.21.20