The 2021 IIBEC Region Director elections will be electronic and open to eligible voting members. Region Director voting will begin on January 6, 2021 and go through January 20, 2021. An email will be sent to all eligible voting members on January 6, 2021 and voting closes on January 20, 2021. This year, there will not be mail in ballots and proxy votes will not be accepted. Elected region director’s will begin their two-year terms at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting of the Members. Due to Covid-19, the date of the 2021 IIBEC Annual Meeting of the Members not been released. Further information will soon be posted to the website. Find your candidate(s)’ profiles below.
Julie Palmer, LEED AP
Candidate for Region I Director
Julie Palmer has eighteen years of experience working on building enclosure restoration and rehabilitation projects, with a specific focus on roofing. Palmer has worked on projects involving a large variety of building types, including academic, commercial, residential, ecclesiastical, and museums. She has technical experience with a wide range of steep-slope and low-slope roofing systems, both historical and modern, as well as associated building materials and construction systems. She also has experience working closely with contractors during the design and construction phases of a project to perform test openings, ensure constructability of the designed work, and troubleshoot field conditions. Palmer is the recipient of numerous project and document competition awards and is active in several roofing and historic preservation organizations.
Prior to joining WJE in 2018, Palmer was an associate at Levine & Company, a roof and building enclosure consulting firm specializing in the conservation of historical building materials and systems. While there, she was responsible for project management, survey and analysis of existing roofing systems and building materials, report writing, construction documentation and observation, and leak investigations.
- President, Delaware Valley Chapter, 2020
- Past President, Delaware Valley Chapter, 2019
- President, Delaware Valley Chapter, 2018
- Vice President, Delaware Valley Chapter, 2017
- Member, 2009 – present
Professional Affiliations/Work History
- Wiss Janney Elstner Associates, Philadelphia, PA 2018-present
- Levine & Company, Ardmore, PA 2006-2018
- 1:1:6 Technologies Incorporated, Media, PA 2002-2006
- University of Pennsylvania – Master of Architecture, 2007
- Columbia University – Master of Science, Historic Preservation, 2002
- Syracuse University – Bachelor of Science in Environmental Design for Interiors, 2000
I have been active with the Delaware Valley Chapter of IIBEC for many years and have served on the chapter board for the past four years. Through my involvement, I have developed an appreciation for the hardships faced by many of the chapters, as well as a wealth of experience, both positive and negative, in dealing with those hardships. I look forward to the opportunity to share my experiences with other chapters in Region I and beyond. As Region I Director, one of my goals will be to facilitate communications and the sharing of ideas between the chapters in my region, so they can learn from each other’s experiences. I will also explore and encourage any opportunities for networking and collaboration between Region I and other regions for the same reasons. Chapters deal with many of the same issues and can benefit from sharing how they have navigated certain situations (successfully or otherwise); what has worked for them, what hasn’t worked for them, and what they need help with. As Region I Director, I will support the chapters in my region with an aim toward helping them grow and shape our industry on a local level because I firmly believe that if we all contribute locally, we contribute to the betterment of the whole. Strong local chapters are one key to the overall success of IIBEC.
I have lived in Pennsylvania for most of my life, with brief forays into New York for school. I grew up in a small town (what do you mean you can’t find Athens, PA on the map?!) and in two massive, life-altering steps found myself living in Manhattan. Having experienced both ends of the small town/big city spectrum, I realized that I needed to land somewhere in the middle. Philadelphia has been that happy medium for me and I have enjoyed living in this area since 2002.
My hobbies include gardening, hiking, bike riding, reading, and cooking. I like animals…well, most animals, anyway. I’m pretty sure squirrels have no redeeming qualities. I’m left-handed, I hate broccoli, I believe in keeping right except to pass, and I’m not especially handy when it comes to home improvements (unfortunately, neither is my cat).
Michael Fell, RWC
Candidate for Region II Director
Michael Fell has over 25 years’ experience in the Building Enclosure industry, and was instrumental in
growing a family business with four employees to over 65 employees. While earning his degree in civil engineering from the University of Florida, Fell worked as an intern with some key architectural and engineering firms. Most memorable was working for Moisture Systems Incorporated (MSI). These internships provided the foundation and training necessary to build a successful career as a building enclosure and waterproofing consultant. Building on these experiences and many more after graduating, Fell transitioned into executive positions with BE-CI. He became a principal partner in 2007 and then served as the company’s president from 2011-2019. He is currently the company’s CFO. BE-CI is a multidisciplinary firm with 12 offices throughout Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Texas. BE-CI provides both analysis and design services related to all aspects of the exterior building enclosure. In addition to these services, Fell developed a department which provides planned maintenance programs and reserve Studies for building owners to anticipate realistic needs for future maintenance. In 2013, Fell implemented a plan to grow the firm while maintaining the family-first culture. Since then, BE-CI has successfully added at least one office and an employee to each office every year since.
Fell joined RCI/IIBEC in 1999 and is currently a Consultant member and Registered Waterproofing Consultant (RWC). He has served several leadership positions at the branch and chapter levels, including the following:
- One of the Founding Members of first Branch Chapter of IIBEC (Florida Branch Chapter)
- The inaugural Treasurer of the Florida Branch Chapter and an integral part of developing that into a self-sustaining Affiliated Chapter of IIBEC.
- President of the Northern Gulf Coast Chapter of RCI, Inc. the year the chapter earned both a charter and “Outstanding RCI Affiliated Chapter Award.”
- Currently the Region II representative for IIBEC’s Chapter Development Committee. Serving on this committee since 2016 and member of the team that developed the updated application, reward levels, and spreadsheet to tally the results of each application.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering – 1996, University of Florida
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, College of Engineering Seminar: Series on “Preventing and Solving Moisture Related Problems in Buildings.”
- ASTM Symposium: Water Problems in Building Exterior Walls
- Several ASCE Courses including “Wind Loads for Buildings & Other Structures”
- RCI Symposium on Roof Drainage and the Florida Building Code
- Numerous other CE Courses on Roofing & Waterproofing Systems through IIBEC, CSI, AWCI and now beciU.
“My main goal for IIBEC as region director will be focused around assisting all the chapters in our region with growth and chapter development. I plan to work closely with each chapter to increase their membership, participation and recruit new leaders. My goal as Region Director is to provide all the guidance and assistance necessary so every chapter in our region earns the Outstanding Affiliated Chapter Award, which is basically a road map on how to run a successful chapter of IIBEC. I am honored to have been nominated and appreciate the opportunity to be your next Region II Director. I will focus on taking our region from good to great.”
Mike and Keely have been married for 20+ years and have three children: Paxton (19), Landry (16), and Malin (8). They feel very fortunate to live in Niceville, Florida where they enjoy spending as much time as they can in the water. While they are away from home, they enjoy their vacations together snow skiing and visiting friends and family.
J. Michael Spach, RRC, RRO
Candidate for Region II Director
I am a veteran of the United States Air Force, where I served in the Civil Engineering Squadron assigned to assist the Army Corps of Engineering in developing a consistent standard for roof inspections and maintain practices. I have been in the roofing and waterproofing industry for more than 35 years, working on both the contractor side and consultant side of the industry.
I have been a member of RCI (IIBEC) for more than 10 years. Unfortunately, a portion of that experience was interrupted due to a change in employment status. However, I was able to rejoin the organization in 2012 and plan to continue well past my professional retirement. I have been involved in the organization on a local level and in 2016 worked to revitalize the Kentucky Chapter by expanding the chapter to cover Tennessee and the northern portion of Alabama. During this rebuilding period I served as chapter president for the Mid-South Chapter for more than four years. I am proud of the direction the Mid-South Chapter is heading, and although there is always room for improvement, the chapter has realized a tremendous growth and participation levels allowing the chapter to better serve the organization.
Professional Affiliations/Work History
I am also a member of the NRCA and serve as an advisor assisting in the development of their precertification program. In addition, I am a member of the TARC, (Tennessee Association of Roofing Contractors) and this membership allows the Mid- South Chapter to work closely and support the efforts of ongoing training between the two organizations.
I graduated from West Forsyth High School in Clemmons, NC in 1981 and furthered my education after the end of my military service commitment to the USAF by attending and graduating from Central Piedmont Community College with an associates degree in architecture engineering. I have also attended various educational and training programs regarding roofing and waterproofing technology.
I am a strong believer in the mission and commitments of the IIBEC organization. I have first-hand knowledge of the challenges and obstacles chapter presidents face from day to day as they do their very best to lead and promote the local chapter and therefore promote the entire IIBEC organization. I believe the ethics and standards of excellence that are the backbone of the IIBEC organization allow our members to demonstrate the best practices in the construction of the building envelope. As a regional director, it would be my pledge to assist each one of the chapter presidents in the fulfillment of their responsibilities and the guide them as a servant leader, sharing my knowledge and experience of the IIBEC organization, the roofing and waterproofing industry. In addition, as an effective region director, I will take the concerns of the chapter presidents to the leadership of the IIBEC organization in an effort to improve the overall organization.
I have been married to a wonderful woman, and the love of my life for more than 31 years. We have been blessed with three wonderful sons, and currently have two precious grandchildren. Teresa and I live approximately 25 miles south of Nashville, TN, in a suburban town called Smyrna. We are active in our church and community. Teresa and I both consider ourselves to be patriots of the most wonderful country on the planet.
Charles T. Sietmann, RRO, REWO, CCCA, CIT
Candidate for Region III Director
Charles (Charlie) Sietmann is an associate principal with Building Technology Consultants, Inc. (BTC) in Arlington Heights, Illinois. Since joining BTC in 2005, he has been involved in assisting in the evaluation, testing, and repair of construction defects on numerous projects. His professional experience includes repair construction contract administration and field observations on building enclosure rehabilitation projects including low-slope roofing, steep roofing, concrete balcony rehabilitation, waterproofing of terraces and parking garages, window replacements, and building facade renovations. Additional experience includes assistance in investigation of deterioration, water leakage issues, and construction deficiencies in building enclosures and assistance in repair design and preparation of contract documents. Other duties include repair contract bidding assistance; destructive and nondestructive testing; and performing aerial evaluations, including facade evaluations and roof evaluations, using an unmanned aerial system (UAS or drone).
- IIBEC Member Since 2010
- 2020 Chicago Area Chapter of IIBEC Immediate Past President
- 2019 Chicago Area Chapter of IIBEC President
- 2018 Chicago Area Chapter of IIBEC Vice President
- 2016-2018 Chicago Area Chapter of IIBEC Secretary
- 2014-2016 Chicago Area Chapter of IIBEC Director
- 2013-2020 IIBEC Document Competition Sub- Committee
- 2020 IIBEC Building Enclosure Symposium Committee
Professional Affiliations/Work History
- Registered Roof Observer (RRO)
- Registered Exterior Wall Observer (REWO)
- Certified Construction Contract Administrator (CCCA)
- Certified Level I Infrared Thermographer (CIT), with Roof Specifics, conforming to the guidelines of American Society of Nondestructive Testing
- International Concrete Repair Institute (ICRI) Certified Concrete Slab Moisture Testing Technician, Grade 1
- Certified American Concrete Institute (ACI) Adhesive Anchor Installation Inspector
- FAA Certified Remote Pilot with a small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) Rating
- Associate of Science, drafting and design – ITT Technical Institute, Mount Prospect, IL – 2007
- Since graduation, attended numerous seminars, symposia, and conventions related to construction technology, roofing, waterproofing, building enclosures, construction specification practices, building codes, and construction contract administration
Ten years ago, when I joined IIBEC (RCI at the time), at the gentle nudging of my mentor and now business partner Kami Farahmandpour, I was aware of the premier educational opportunities that the organization offered. What I was not aware of was how becoming involved would not only help shape my professional career, but also help establish so many relationships with industry peers.
My goal as the Region III Director would be to continue to promote IIBEC’s educational offerings and reach out to chapters and members within the region to ensure that region members are able to connect with their peers. I also would like to work with region members to ensure we are promoting the professional development of the emerging professional, much like it was done for me.
I believe my experience with the Chicago Area Chapter of IIBEC can help other chapters in the region continue to thrive and/or develop further.
Married to wife Jill for 18 years and have an 11 year old daughter, Lorin. When not working, free time is spent traveling, hiking, biking, flying drones, and coaching youth basketball.
Jennifer Hogan, CET, RRO, LEED AP, Certified Passive House Consultant
Candidate for Region VII Director
Jennifer has over 13 years of experience in the field of building sciences. She specializes in building energy performance with a focus on high performance building enclosures (exterior walls, roofs, windows, etc.). She is trained in both 2-D and 3-D hygrothermal modelling as well as on several whole building energy modelling platforms. She is the leader for Pretium’s Energy Performance Service Area which includes building envelope commissioning, LEED durable building consulting, energy modelling/auditing, and Passive House projects.
Jennifer received the IIBEC (RCI) Emerging Professional Award of Excellence in 2018 and the OBEC Rising Star Award in 2019.
- IIBEC Director Region VII 2019-2020
- IIBEC (RCI) Ontario Chapter – Past President (previously serving as President, Vice President, Director of Education, and on the education committee)
- IIBEC (RCI) Canadian Building Envelope Symposium Committee – Chair (2018)
- IIBEC (RCI) Emerging Professionals Committee (2017-Present)
- IIBEC (RCI) Manual of Practice Task Group (2018)
- IIBEC (RCI) Building Envelope Commissioning Task Group (2017)
Professional Affiliations/Work History
In addition to her membership in IIBEC, Hogan is also a member in the following professional organizations:
- Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT)
- Building Commissioning Association – Canada East District Chapter
- Canadian Green Building Council (CaGBC)
- Passive House Canada
- Canadian Condominium Institute (CCI) – Golden Horseshoe Chapter
Through the course of her career, Jennifer has held the following positions:
- Director of Marketing and Business Development, Sr. Project Manager and Operations Manager (Burlington), Pretium (formerly Pretium Anderson), August 2020 – Present
- Project Manager and Operations Manager (Burlington), Pretium (formerly Pretium Anderson), 2015-July 2020
- Project Manager, Pretium (formerly Pretium Anderson), 2012-2015
- Project Coordinator, Halsall Associates, 2007-2012
- Bachelor of Architectural Science (B.Arch.Sci.), Building Science Option, Ryerson University, 2007
- Leadership Development Series Certificate (Business), Mohawk College, In Progress
If elected to serve a second term as Director for Region VII, it will be my personal mission to continue the work that I began two years ago. 2020 has been challenging for our membership in so many ways and now, more than ever, it is imperative that we are all working together and supporting one another. To that end, I will:
- Continue to provide open/transparent communications between our chapters/branches and headquarters and others within the association.
- Support the growth of our chapters/branches by finding news ways to provide value to our members, including ways to better engage those outside our core geographic centers.
- Advocate for Canadian educational content and premier events like the Canadian Building Enclosure Symposium (or ICBEST).
- Inspire young professionals and students to join IIBEC and hopefully, to become fully engaged as future volunteers and leaders.
It has been a true honor to serve as the Director of Region VII for the last two years. I believe that during this time I have learned a lot and with that knowledge, know that I have so much more to contribute. As always I welcome all members to reach out to me to discuss any questions or ideas they may have about how we can work together to continue to raise IIBEC to new heights.
Jennifer lives in Stoney Creek, Ontario with her husband Richard and two boys, William and Wesley. She loves baseball (go Jays), competing in triathlons, and has an addiction to reading that boarders on unhealthy.