The 2022 IIBEC Region Director elections will be electronic and open to eligible voting members. Region Director voting will begin on January 10, 2022, and go through January 24, 2022. An email will be sent to all eligible voting members on January 10, 2022, and voting closes on 24, 2022. Like last year, there will not be mail-in ballots and proxy votes will not be accepted. Elected region directors will begin their two-year terms at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting of the Members. Further information will soon be posted to the website. Find your candidate(s)’ profiles below.
Jonathan Cannon, RRC, RRO, REWO, CDT
Candidate for Region IV Director
I had the fortune to join the building envelope community as a green young professional in 2001. As with most young professionals, I had not been exposed to the intricacies of the building envelope until I found myself standing on a roof in the hot Texas summer, drenched in sweat, being asked by a 40-year veteran roofer if something was done correctly. I liked the guy, so I said yes (I had no idea). He just laughed and very colorfully expressed it was not. He called his crew over and explained to us all how to correctly execute the detail. My education as a building envelope professional had officially begun.
In the eight years following that hot summer, I continued to learn and experience every facet of our industry. I learned from mistakes and got it right occasionally, too. In 2009 I took the leap and formed the Hollon+Cannon Group where I continue my professional growth as principal and senior consultant.
- Chapter Development Committee
- Committee Chair (2014–2021)
- Committee Member (2012–2021)
- Advocacy Committee (2016–Present)
- Marketing / Thought Leadership Sub-Committee Chair (2017–2020)
- Emerging Professionals Committee (2014–2019)
- Central Texas Chapter (President: 2007, 2010, 2014)
- Central Texas Chapter (Vice President: 2006, 2008, 2009, 2013)
- Central Texas Chapter (Immediate Past President: 2008, 2011, 2015)
- Central Texas Chapter (Secretary: 2012)
- Central Texas Chapter (Executive Director: 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016)
- Central Texas Chapter (Charter / Founding Member 2006)
- RCI Leadership Development Work Shop (2006, 2009, 2013–2020)
- RCI 2017 Strategic Planning Session (Concentrated on Branding and Marketing)
- Diversity and Inclusion Task Force (2021–Present)
- Registered Roof Consultant (RRC)–No. 606
- Registered Roof Observer (RRO)–No. 517
- Registered Exterior Wall Observer (REWO)–No. 23
Professional Affiliations/Work History
- IIBEC, 2004–Present
- Michael DeFrancesco Award (Volunteer of the Year Award)–2017
- Emerging Professional Award–2015
- Outstanding Volunteer Award–2021
- Anthem College, 2001
I have been involved in numerous efforts of IIBEC for more than a decade. My chapter and committee involvement has allowed me to stay abreast of and contribute to the major issues facing our association. The primary role of a region director is to advocate for the chapters and members located in our Region IV. The region director also is the conduit for communication between the members and the leadership. I think my experience would aid me in doing that well. We are fortunate as an association to have individuals willing to serve as chapter leaders and at the region level. I promise to do my best to serve our region. I ask for your vote and the opportunity to serve you and our region.
My wife Kristi and I are high school sweethearts. We have been in each other’s lives for over 20 years and have been married for 15 years. We live in Austin, Texas, with our three high-spirited daughters Finley (9), Rowan (7), and Fallon (5), better known as “All the Cannon Ladies”! We get outside whenever we can, enjoying hikes and playing outside in any form. There is nothing better than seeing your kids covered in mud while wearing high heels.
Julie McDonald, REWC, RRC, CIT
Candidate for Region V Director
Julie is the director of design for Mantis Innovations, formerly BLUEFIN LLC, headquartered in Greenwood Village, CO. She has been in the roof and building enclosure consulting industry for 11+ years and commercial construction for 15 years.
Prior to joining Mantis Innovation, Julie worked as a senior enclosure consultant for Bodis Group, Inc. in Denver, CO, and Buidling Envelope Consulting LLC in Leesburg, VA, and project manager with Professional Service Industries LLC in Fairfax, VA, between 2010 to 2021 and was responsible for all aspects of operating and project managing within a small business unit.
In the four years prior to becoming a consultant, Julie worked for a large General Contractor on government projects in the Washington, DC, area where she oversaw the Quality Control Department, worked as a field engineer, and learned the importance of constructibility reviews and contractor relationships. Julie worked while earning a master’s degree in Building Construction Managment and wrote a graduate thesis on ethics in quality control and developed a small business QC program start-up plan.
Julie’s current focus of service includes roof design, roof asset management for clients with nationwide portfolios, peer review of new construction projects, business development and procurement of new design projects, and overseeing a team of designers and CAD operators within Mantis.
- Registered Exterior Wall Consultant (REWC) #0081
- Registered Roof Consulant (RRC) #0875
- Member since 2014
- Chapter Development Committee, 2021–Present
- BECxP Exam Committee, 2019–Present
- Convention Student Mentor, 2015–Present
- Vice President (2021), Secretary (2020), Colorado Chapter, 2021
- Diversity and Inclusion Task Force, 2020–2021
- Chairman, Emerging Professionals Committee, 2016–2019, Liaison to the Technical Advisory Committee, 2018–2019
- Secretary, Mid-Atlantic Chapter, 2018
- Emerging Professionals Award of Excellence, 2019
Professional Affiliations/Work History
- IIBEC, 2014–Present
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW), 2010–2018
- Master of Science, Building Construction Management, Purdue University, 2010
- Bachelor of Science, Historic Preservation, Roger Williams University, RI, 2006
“How can I help you today?” is often how I open conversations with peers and clients. I stand for service with a smile, accepting challenges, and following through. I consider my ability to network and share ideas as a strength and will bring my years of leadership within multiple chapters and committees to the region by cross-pollinating information, sharing chapter successes, and connecting chapter leaders within the region.
I have watched the IIBEC organization grow and evolve over my past years of involvement. At my first convention, I addressed the attendees with a call to action to recruit new, young talent to grow our businesses, and I’m pleased to say that I have upheld my end of the bargain by continuing to mentor students and provide career opportunities for up and coming talent, as well as by serving 4+ years on the Emerging Professionals Committee. I have enjoyed watching IIBEC’s leadership continue to diversify, and I believe that my leadership as Region V director will continue to encourage more engagement at the chapter levels and bring along fresh faces and voices to the organization.
It is my hope that you will vote for me, allowing me to continue to serve the IIBEC community, mentor, diversify, and cross-pollinate ideas across Region V chapters and as a member of the IIBEC Executive Committee.
Julie lives in Castle Rock, Colorado, with her husband, two sons, two dogs, and cat. Her family enjoys off-roading and backcountry camping, backpacking, rafting, skiing/ snowboarding, hunting, and fishing. She stays involved in her son’s schools and the community with volunteering activities. Anyone who knows Julie knows she loves to talk roof-nerd topics and camping gear, and that she has an obsession with camp chairs.
Burt Carver, RRC, RRO
Candidate for Region VI Director
Burt Carver is the president of Apex Building Sciences Inc., a consulting firm specialized in building enclosure issues in Western Canada. He has been involved in roofing and waterproofing since the mid ’90s and started consulting full time in 1999. He has acted as a field reviewer, field technician and project manager for several hundred projects. His areas of expertise include building condition assessment, technical specifications, document review, code compliance, building envelope, and project closeout.
- Registered Roof Consultant (RRC)
- Registered Roof Observer (RRO)
- Instructed RQA
- Instructed RT&S I and II
- Advocacy Committee (current)
- Chapter Development Committee (current)
- RRO Exam Development Task Force (current)
- RRC Exam Development Task Force (current)
- Past President of Western Canadian Chapter
- Attended multiple RCI Annual Conventions
Professional Affiliations/Work History
- Past Board Member–Canadian Condominium Institute
- PAQ+S Certified
- HCBC Nominating Committee
- Ongoing Education updates through IIBEC and locally developed content.
- I have been involved with IIBEC both locally and nationally for the past decade plus. I intend to support and assist the chapters in the region and act as a conduit between the chapters and the executive.
- With the ongoing changes in the organization I will work to build a stronger relationship and communication between the chapters and IIBEC.
- I will work to represent the local issues that uniquely impact our region and advocate for resources on the chapters’ behalf.
- I will work towards incorporating some of the benefits that the pandemic brought into IIBEC, such as remote learning and attendance opportunities.
Burt Carver is married and has four beautiful children with his lovely wife, Tracy. They have been married for 20 years. They live on an acreage in the Fraser Valley in British Columbia, where they keep some horses. Burt’s passions are technology and tinkering.