What geographical region do you serve?
Oregon and southwest Washington.
What events does your chapter currently have planned?
The Portland Chapter of IIBEC has an amazing 2-Day Educational Symposium coming November 10 and 11, 2022. We have invited some A-list presenters to come speak on a breadth of industry topics. Presentation are as follows:
- The Ins and Outs of Adaptive Reuse: Strategies for Success (Erica Reynolds & Tracy Myers / Huntington Beach, CA)
- Infrared Thermography for Today’s Construction (Karl Schaack / Houston, TX)
- Beauty Above…Chaos Below: Amenity Roofs Design and Implementation Issues (Erica Reynolds / Huntington Beach, CA)
- Gutters & ANSI/SPRI GT-1 (Brad Van Dam / Brookfield, WI)
- Cold Storage Condensation Challenges and Cures (Phil Dregger / Concord, CA)
- Green Roof Best Practices for Long-Term Success, Waterproofing through Plants (Elizabeth Morris / Oregon City, OR)
- Roofing Performance: Current Trends & Design Strategies for Durability & Resilience (Tracy Myers / Huntington, CA)
- 20,000 Gallons vs. Nine Ducks (Aaron Nelson / Stanwood, WA)
- An Introduction to Below Grade Waterproofing: Strategies, Materials and Detailing (Martin Houston / Portland, OR)
- Tapered Design: Introduction to Tapered Insulation (Rick Villanueva / Portland, OR)
If you are interested in joining us for this event, registration is still open! This will be a hybrid event, offering both in-person and virtual attendance. More information about the event, registration, and accommodations can be found on our website: https://portland.iibec.org/calendar/
In your opinion, what was the most successful event that your chapter has hosted in the last year?
Our annual golf tournament proves to be our chapter’s our most successful social gathering. It just took place, August 31, at the beautiful Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Creek Golf Course in North Plains, Oregon. The event was well attended with 116 golfers and 15 sponsors, all enjoying an opportunity to network and celebrate a bit of normalcy as we gathered in-person. It was a warm summer day on the links, followed by an awards dinner and raffle.
Sponsors for this event included:
- Platinum: Soprema & Malarkey Roofing Products
- Gold: Sawtooth Caulking & Siplast
- Silver: Harper Winn
- Bronze: Carlisle Roof Foam & Coatings, Cornwell Consulting Group, LLC, JR Johnson, LLC, Roofline Supply & Delivery, and Weller Associates Inc.
- Driving Range: Sika
- Putting Green: Skoler Building Resources
- Tee Box: Atlas Roofing Corporation, Bain Associates, Inc., Building Integrity Group, LLC, D-Seven Northwest, Duradek Northwest, Emseal, Harper Winn, Henry, IB Roof Systems, Malarkey Roofing Products, Pioneer Waterproofing, Precision Images, Professional Roof Consultants, Inc., QED Lab, Sika Sarnafil, Siplast, TM Rippey Consulting Engineers, and Versico
- Contest Sponsors: AVM Industries, D-Seven Northwest, and TekTerior
Tournament Winners were:
- 1st Place: Jay Moffit (Dealers Supply), Mark Miller (Skoler Building Resources), Rick Gehrts (Griffith Roofing), and Scott Johnson (APOC/ICP Group)
- 2nd Place: Tyson Polack (HB Fuller), Carter Williams (ABC Roofing), John Bunyard (Roofline Supply & Delivery), and Spencer Bolt (ABC Roofing)
- 3rd Place: David Mansfield (Soprema), Carter Howland (Convoy Supply), Matt Allen (Flynn), and Jake Votta (Convoy Supply)
We are grateful for the support of this event by all within our industry, as it offers us the opportunity to put on our annual education events, including the 2-Day Education Symposium coming in November.
Does your chapter donate to or support a charity?
Currently, the IIBEC Portland Chapter donates to the Lewis W. Newlan Scholarship program and the RCI-IIBEC Foundation.
What do you do for fundraising?
IIBEC Portland Chapter hosts a yearly golf tournament as our primary fundraising event. This event has been well attended by golfers and sponsors alike and is our largest revenue generator. In 2019, the board of directors dedicated this event to one of our fellow comrades, industry leader, longtime member of IIBEC, and founding member of our local chapter. We are pleased to now call this event the “Phil Strand Memorial Golf Tournament.”
What is the greatest takeaway from your chapter involvement, either personally or professionally?
The networking within the chapter has strengthened relationships to be more successful professionally. Being informed of new developments and products with the education sessions whether they are by a consultant, architect or product manufacturer has been extremely useful.
If you were to give a piece of advice to the next generation of consultants, what would it be?
The advice we would give to a young consultant would be to get involved in your local industry groups, stay teachable, and build those contacts with members of the industry. Each of these will add to your knowledge base and provide opportunities to professional grow. – Dan Cornwell, IIBEC Portland Chapter Immediate Past President
Let’s talk more about your board! If you were to add it up, how many cumulative years of experience currently directs your chapter?
Collectively among our board of directors, we have almost 200 years of experience.
In September all of our chapters begin canvassing for the next year’s volunteers. Are you currently looking for individuals to fill any open or upcoming board or leadership positions?
As a relatively young chapter, IIBEC Portland Chapter is indeed looking for industry affiliates to join the leadership, whether at the committee level or board of directors to help strengthen our efforts. We value a wide breadth of perspectives and knowledge to stay current with industry information. We have open committee positions (Education, Golf, Long-Range, Philanthropic, Marketing) and will be recruiting for board positions soon.
2022 IIBEC Southern California Board of Directors:
The 2022 Portland Chapter of IIIBEC’s Board of Directors are:
President: Owen Elkins, CDT, Chief Operating Officer, Bain Associates, Inc.
Vice President: Scott Huff, Principal/Oregon Sales, D-Seven Northwest
Secretary: Andrew Larson, President, Building Integrity Group, LLC
Treasurer: Delvecchio (Del) Gray, RRC, RRO, Senior Project Manager, J2 Building Consultants
Professional Director: Brad Schmautz, RRC, RRO, CARSS, Senior Technical Specialist, JR Johnson, LLC
Industry Director: Cody Hakala, Principal, Exterior Product Solutions
Immediate Past President: Dan Cornwell, Principal, Cornwell Consulting Group, LLC
Chapter Administrator: Susie Sirovatka, Office Administrator, Professional Roof Consultants Inc.