April 30, 2016
By Micki Kamszik
Associate Director/Director of Registration Programs
With the expansion of RCI’s focus from roofing to the entire building envelope (roofing, waterproofing, and exterior walls), the organization saw the need for the development of an exterior wall observer designation. Quality assurance observers monitor the construction process to ensure that exterior wall systems stay in compliance with approved construction drawings, specifications, and best-practice or warranty-stipulated installation procedures.
The Registered Exterior Wall Observer (REWO®) designation is currently under development to validate that candidates possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to provide impartial, informed observation and documentation while performing the duties of project observation and quality assurance related to the construction of exterior wall systems.
RCI would like to thank the following dedicated subject matter experts who worked diligently to develop the exam for this new program: Bob Card, Scott Croasdale, Danielle Czyzewski, Martin Gerskup, Steve Hentz, Brian O’Donnell, Patrick Reicher, Jim Ripley, Kyle Silliker, and Dennis Spina.
The REWO designation will soon be available to individuals who qualify through an application process and online exam. Potential candidates must substantiate a working knowledge of exterior wall systems and establish that they have met the following requirements:
- Have two years of exterior wall systems construction experience, two years of quality assurance observation experience, or four years as an exterior wall systems technical or sales representative.
- Obtain five references, one of which must be from a professional engineer, registered architect, RCI Consultant member, Registered Roof Consultant (RRC®), Registered Exterior Wall Consultant (REWC®), or Registered Waterproofing Consultant (RWC®).
- Obtain a minimum of 12 hours of continuing education within the building envelope industry.
- Attain a satisfactory score on the computer-based exam.
Skills will be quantified by an online exam offered at conveniently located computer-based testing centers worldwide. The exam will include 75 questions designed to measure the applicant’s knowledge regarding construction documents, ethical standards, communication skills, safety practices, exterior wall systems, field observation practices, and reporting.
The examination will take up to four hours to complete. Results will be conveyed to the candidate immediately upon completion.
It is anticipated that the exam will be available in mid-2016.
The fees for the REWO candidates are as follows:
- Application fee: $350 for RCI members, $425 for nonmembers
- Examination fee: $250 for RCI members, $325 for nonmembers
Contact Micki Kamszik at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to request an application.