By Jonathan Cannon, RRC, RRO, CDT, Chapter Development Committee Chairman
The RCI Chapter Development Committee announces the release of the 2017 Outstanding RCI Affiliated Chapter Award Program. Based on feedback from chapter presidents, vice presidents, region directors, and other key players concerning the 2016 Chapter Award Program application and a draft of the 2017 application revisions, the 2017 version is now complete.
Some comments received were:
The application document was a great step forward in getting the chapter organized to apply. It also by its nature highlights the things the Chapter needs to work on, and the Ontario Chapter has definitely taken notice of that.”
– Edward A. (Ted) Sheridan, RRC, REWC, RWC, RBEC, PEng,
RCI Region VII Director
“GCRCI is intending to participate in the Chapter Awards Program this year.”
– Richard R. Smith, RWC, REWC, CEI
RCI Gulf Coast Chapter Vice President
“I like that some of the scoring emphasis has been taken off of simply having a committee. I think that in last year’s version it was too easy to just create a committee that doesn’t do very much and gain enough additional points to pass the minimum score in each section.”
– Jennifer Hogan
RCI Ontario Chapter President
The application changes include additional credit for submitting quarterly and mid-year reviews, committee minutes, and members who enter the RCI Document Competition, as well as detailed instructions for application submission.
The Outstanding RCI Affiliated Chapter Award Program was first implemented in 2004 under the direction of Chapter Development Committee Chairman Patrick L. Downey, FRCI, RRC, CCCA. It laid the foundation for successful chapter operations and recognition of those chapters each year.
Today, the intent of the original Chapter Award Program carries on in a new format created in 2016, which utilizes an Excel© format. The award application process is managed by the chapter vice president and reviewed by the chapter president and secretary. All must sign to certify the completed chapter award application. The chapter award applications are due to RCI headquarters each year by January 15. They are reviewed by the RCI secretary/treasurer to determine qualification for the annual award. (See the Chapter Award Program’s purpose below.)
The 2017 Outstanding RCI Affiliated Chapter Award Program application is now available for download from the RCI website at http://iibec.org/membership/downloads/#clt, or it may be accessed from this direct link: http://iibec.org/wp-content/uploads/RCI-Chapter-Awards-Application-2017-1.zip. The Chapter Development Committee encourages chapters to begin using the award application now and frequently throughout the year to track and record data.
See you at the 32nd RCI International Convention and Trade Show in Anaheim, CA, where chapters will be recognized during the Annual Awards Luncheon for earning the award for their work in 2016.
Purpose of Chapter Awards Application
- Identifies chapters meeting requirements to thrive and be successful.
- Recognizes chapters meeting minimum requirement set forth in the awards application at RCI International Convention and through RCI Interface.
Road Map for Successful Operations:
- Provides chapters with a guide book to help identify required actions needed to be a successful and active chapter.
- Identifies and highlights recommended actions needed to take the chapter to the next level.
- Serve as documentation of year’s activities.
- Document who served in leadership roles.
- Serve as historical record and reference material for future chapter boards.
Aid for Leadership Transition:
- Gives new leadership an understanding of the previous board of director’s goals, objectives, and achievements.
- Aids in providing continuity from year to year.
- Identifies most difficult yearly tasks each chapter must perform to meet governmental and RCI requirements.